Skip to main content

Revisiting passing Parameters through EL - this time with functional techniques

The strangest thing about being a developer, to me, is that every time I think I have perfected my technique for something, I revisit it after some time away and find a better way of doing things. So this is my 4th iteration of how to pass and accept parameters through Expression Language. Allow me to introduce... the Mapper. (Quick side note: my old GetMap was based on the Map interface. Mapper is based on DataObject just because it is smaller. Mapper could just as easily implement Map if you prefer.

Just as a quick reminder, the goal is to accept a parameter through Expression Language, like so:
styleClass="#{MyViewBean.buttonStyle['MyButton']}"

public class Mapper implements DataObject, Serializable {
public static interface Function {
Object map(Object in);
}
private final Function func; //This will be an anonymous implementation

public Mapper(Function func) {
this.func = func;
}
public Object getValue(Object key){
return func.map(key); // Call the anonymous Function method
}
public void setValue(Object key, Object value){
throw new UnsupportedOperationException();
}
public Class<?> getType(Object key) {
throw new UnsupportedOperationException();
}
public boolean isReadOnly(Object key) {
return true;
}
}

This came from studying functional programming concepts and I believe this is a vast improvement on my earlier versions. It is certainly much easier to read and implement, and the most flexible. It works like this:

public class MyViewBean {
private String activeButton = "MyButton";

private final Mapper btnStyleMapper = new Mapper(
new Mapper.Function(){ // define the translation function
public Object map(Object in) {
return getActiveButton().equalsIgnoreCase(in.toString()) ? " active" : "";
}
}
);

public String getActiveButton() {
return this.activeButton;
}

public void setActiveButton(String activeButton) {
this.activeButton = activeButton;
}

public Object getButtonStyle() {
return btnStyleMapper;
}
}
One thing this version does sacrifice is strongly-typed objects due to the DataObject interface. You could use Map for better typing, but the endpoints are still going to be Objects, so it might be best to just validate the input and be on your way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass data between XPages and existing LS scripts

I'm working on modernizing a fairly hefty application with a lot of existing script libraries which we want to leverage within the XPages environment. Here is a technique that works very well. First, create an in-memory document in SSJS. We can set any input values needed for the back end. Then we pass that document to a LS Agent which can work it's magic using the values set in SSJS and use the same document to return values back to the XPage. Here is how it works in detail:

Quick tip: Convert a number to String in EL

I just had a need to do this and a Google search didn't immediately turn up a solution. So I thought for a couple of minutes and came up with this: value="0#{numberVar}" This takes advantage of the way Java auto-converts objects to strings when doing a concatenation. So if your number is 13, Java EL turns this into new String("0"+13), which becomes "013". You can then strip off the leading zero or just parse the string back into a number.

Project in Review - Part 3: What didn't work

Of course, not everything was an unmitigated success. I tried many things that didn't work out. Much of which I've removed and forgotten about, but a few things remain - either scarred into my psyche or woven too deeply to fix. What didn't work Storing my entire configuration in application.properties Using properties files is great. It let me get configuration out of a profile document and into something much easier to edit - particularly configuration that users will never see or maintain (and thus there is no need for an interface for). But I took it too far. The paths to the other databases are there, and that's good. But view aliases are also there, and that was a mistake. I already have a ViewDefinition enum that describes each view and all the information I need to know about it. I could have set view names there, but instead I'm reading them from the application config. I can change where a view is pointing without having to go into my code. Except of co