Skip to main content

Rows per page selection: Part 2

I was asked to create a control that would allow users to select the number of rows per page in a view/repeat control (the application uses both). It seemed simple at first, but I ran into a few issues that I thought I'd share the solutions to.

Problem 2: When the page refreshed, the combobox value always reverted back to the default

It turns out that the Integer value stored in the viewScope doesn't get run through the converter back to a string before being compared to options. I needed a way to calculate the option values so that they would be Integers. This is also not the first time I've run into issues where I need a value to be of a different type, and I see questions like this on StackOverflow from time to time. I attempted a few minor things before I realized I needed to break out my old stand-by, the GetMap.

The GetMap is just a fake Map implementation that takes the key and transforms it or uses it to look up some other value. In this case, we are doing the former. Until this point, I had only ever needed String keys, and so my existing implementation made that assumption. Enter GetObjMap, for which the only difference is the key can be any object. (Note: the GetMap could just be changed to an Object key, but it would likely create warnings for existing code, so I opted for a new class.)

I used this new tool to create a "universal" converter. Universal in the sense that it handles what I need right now and can be added to later.
public class XspObjectConverter {
public GetObjMap<String> getAsString() {
GetObjMap<String> getter = new GetObjMap<String>() {
@Override
public String get(final Object key) {
try {
return String.valueOf(key);
} catch (Throwable t) {
throw new AbortProcessingException(t);
}
}
};
return getter;
}

public GetObjMap<Integer> getAsInteger() {
GetObjMap<Integer> getter = new GetObjMap<Integer>() {
@Override
public String get(final Object key) {
try {
if (null == key) {
return null;
}
if (o instanceof String) {
return Integer.parseInt((String)key);
} if (Number.class.isAssignableFrom(key.getClass())) {
return new Integer(((Number)key).intValue());
}
throw new IllegalArgumentException("Value cannot be converted");
} catch (Throwable t) {
throw new AbortProcessingException(t);
}
}
};
return getter;
}
}
We now need to register this in faces-config.xml. Since it is stateless, there is no need to make it Serializable. I'll put it in ApplicationScope so that it is always available.
<managed-bean>
<managed-bean-name>converter</managed-bean-name>
<managed-bean-class>org.package.XspObjectConverter</managed-bean-class>
<managed-bean-scope>application</managed-bean-scope>
</managed-bean>
Now that this groundwork is laid, we can simply create our selection items like this:
<xp:selectItem
itemLabel="20"
itemValue="${converter.asInteger[20]}" />
Now everything works!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pass data between XPages and existing LS scripts

I'm working on modernizing a fairly hefty application with a lot of existing script libraries which we want to leverage within the XPages environment. Here is a technique that works very well. First, create an in-memory document in SSJS. We can set any input values needed for the back end. Then we pass that document to a LS Agent which can work it's magic using the values set in SSJS and use the same document to return values back to the XPage. Here is how it works in detail:

Quick tip: Convert a number to String in EL

I just had a need to do this and a Google search didn't immediately turn up a solution. So I thought for a couple of minutes and came up with this: value="0#{numberVar}" This takes advantage of the way Java auto-converts objects to strings when doing a concatenation. So if your number is 13, Java EL turns this into new String("0"+13), which becomes "013". You can then strip off the leading zero or just parse the string back into a number.

Project in Review - Part 3: What didn't work

Of course, not everything was an unmitigated success. I tried many things that didn't work out. Much of which I've removed and forgotten about, but a few things remain - either scarred into my psyche or woven too deeply to fix. What didn't work Storing my entire configuration in application.properties Using properties files is great. It let me get configuration out of a profile document and into something much easier to edit - particularly configuration that users will never see or maintain (and thus there is no need for an interface for). But I took it too far. The paths to the other databases are there, and that's good. But view aliases are also there, and that was a mistake. I already have a ViewDefinition enum that describes each view and all the information I need to know about it. I could have set view names there, but instead I'm reading them from the application config. I can change where a view is pointing without having to go into my code. Except of co